Termites are often referred to as ‘white ants’, but they have few characteristics in common with ants. In fact many species of ants are enemies of termites. Australia has over 300 native species of termites, most of which are not a threat to timbers in your home. The pest species of termites in the Canberra region are subterranean and have a high requirement for moisture. The population of a single colony of these pest species can exceed one million.
Termites are a common problem. A 2004 CSIRO survey reported that almost 33 per cent of Australian homes had a history of termite attack.
Tips to help prevent termites invading your property:
- Relocate mulched garden beds away from the house as this provides an ideal environment for termites.
- Fix leaking guttering and blocked drains as moisture is highly conducive to termites.
- Do not use untreated timbers for edging and retaining walls as this provides an ideal food source for termites.
- Remove old tree stumps from yards.
- Do not store timbers close to or under the house.
- Have your house inspected by a professional at least annually.
- Irrigation systems should not be installed close to foundation walls.
- Make sure water is drained away from the house.
- Avoid planting vegetation against the house.
- If in doubt seek advice from a professional before starting landscaping around your home.
Some Common Pests in the Canberra Region
Rats and mice have adapted perfectly to our urban environment and are responsible for the spread of diseases to humans and damage to property. Our qualified technicians are expertly trained in the detection of rodents and can provide solutions for many situations. Making the environment for rodents less desirable around the home can have a big impact on rodent numbers; the following should be done: lawns should be mowed regularly, dense vegetation should be thinned out in yards, over hanging tree branches and shrubs against the house should be cut back and access holes should be sealed.
Only a small amount of spiders are dangerous, and in most cases the reasons for people wanting their numbers reduced is because of their unsightly webs or because of phobias. Our treatments are very effective against spiders while also being safe for young families and pets. You can also discourage spiders from coming inside your home by removing vegetation against the exterior of the home, reducing clutter in the home and even dimming or changing the color of the outside lights.
Possums are often regarded as cute and cuddly but they can also cause a great deal of damage and can give the occupants of a home plenty of sleepless nights with their coming and going throughout the night. Our bush Capital provides an ideal environment for possums, but when they enter roof voids and homes, they can cause a great deal of distress to the occupants. Possums are protected in the ACT and can not be relocated as they are extremely territorial. We can trap and release the possum for you in a way that will cause the possum no harm and minimum distress but the access points were the possums are entering will need to be properly sealed. In most cases we can seal these entry points for you but, in cases of very old roofs or large jobs we recommend you employ a expert roofer to do this as possums are very clever and strong. It requires a lot more than a bit of chicken wire to keep a determined possum out.